I have always been a female in a man’s sport. I’ve played sports with the male figures in my life since the beginning of time. I was probably the perfect definition of a “tom-boy.” But, outside of sports or outdoor activities, I was always the first girl to put on a dress and heels for dinner. My femininity has never kept me down when it comes to sports; I just have two personalities.
A recent article by Bonnie D. Ford on ESPN.com brings to light a silent controversy that not too many people even consider. There is a motion by the AIBA, the International Boxing Association, to force female boxers to wear skirts rather than shorts during competition. The absurd reason behind this movement is because viewers sometimes have a hard time distinguishing whether the boxer is a male or female. So, the solution is to put women in skirts? I understand that sports such as field hockey have had skirt uniforms since the beginning. I get that. Although I never played any sports that required me to wear a skirt, I understand that it was how the sports like that were established. That is completely reasonable. However, forcing women to switch from a uniform they have trained in to a skirt just because it will define them more as a woman is ridiculous. Ford interviews several women from boxing and other sports about this issue and several reveal that they prefer skirts because it highlights how they can still play a tough, man’s sport while still being feminine. Wearing a skirt while playing sports doesn’t define you as a tough woman; it’s the way you play and interact. I don’t consider myself a feminist in the least bit, but my feminine instincts came to life after I read this headline. This is the 21st century, and women don’t need to be commanded to be women. We have already proven ourselves… What more do you need?
Written by Nichole Antilla
No comments:
Post a Comment